Saturday, December 3, 2011

FLATTIES BY THE FOOT!...Official Report.

Gator wins it all!

The flounder run is in full swing. The day started off cold, wet , and windy. Bait was scarce and the best spots were taken. Contestants had many different game plans and techniques to get their fingers on some flatties. Most of the focus was on the tidal pool with jigs. It payed off for our tournament top dog Gator Starck. Gator won the tournament by finding two fish of legal size. This was quite an achievement since approximately 47 flounder were caught during the contest. 42 of them being undersized and released unharmed.

                    Just over 2 foot of flatties took first.
            By the end of the day, the sun was out, we all had fun and there was fresh flattie fillets on the fire.

THIS JUST IN!!!!!!! Our tournament winner just submitted his report and secret to success!

This contest was so much fun!!!! We got to it a little late but no worries because the flounder bite was on the whole day…constant action. How did I win, LUCK and a little instruction from Capt. Trigger but mostly luck. It was hard fishing next to ole trig, he pulled in a flounder on almost every cast. We both caught a keeper early in the game and it felt as though we would limit out early. We were wadding in the tidal pool casting out towards the middle deeper section. The flounder were biting on mud minnows and some cut bait hooked on a jig head. Late in the day we each still had only one keeper and rumors were flying that other contestants only had one as well. Whoever caught the next keeper would win the contest. 30mins left and Ken gets a nice hit and starts walking back to the land yelling at me to get the net. As he walks past me he looses the fish and jokingly blames me for it, then all of a sudden I get a small hit and start reeling it in, it feels small but just to be sure I pulled it in and as I pulled it past ken he says its too small and to double check because the game wardens are very strict. I measured the flounder and it was 13” good enough for me! I yelled down to Ken, its time to go to the weigh in and he tried to tell me it was at 3 but thankfully there was a contest representative close by to tell me the correct weigh in time. It was close but I made it back just in the nick of time…I think. I thought for sure Jimmy would have limited out and would be just hanging out, but no as I ran up he only had one. I had two so it made me the winner. It was truly anyone’s game I got lucky at the very end and it was awesome! Jimmy cleaned the flounder in 2.5 seconds as we got the fire going we ate fresh flounder as the sun set while listing to Ken yelling at me about him loosing the winning fish…CLASSIC!!! This was well organized and very family friendly and an overall great day to fish with friends. I can’t wait for the next Florida fish killer fishing tournament.

-G.R. Stark

The next tournament will be in January, keep your eye on the " upcoming tournaments" tab.

2 comments:

  1. Special shout out to Capt. Trigger for catching the biggest Flounder. Also thanks to everyone who helped make this a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His name is Gator but they should call him Grizzly! He might as well be catching the fish with his teeth because he's that good and he makes it seem as though fishing is life or death. Congrats Gator!!! way to steal that flounder from Capt. Trigger!
    Ps. Thats why they call him Capt. Trigger rather than Capt. Flounder....Can't keep 'em on the hook!

    ReplyDelete