Thursday, January 12, 2012

I love winter diving!

Its been a while since I posted. A new position at work has been challenge and time consuming. I have had the pleasure of diving the last two weekends and I finally have a minute to report.

12-30-11 New years eve,

My family and I kept up our tradition by camping on an island for the last and first day of the year. I woke up in a tent and went out with some of the usual suspects. The conditions were perfect and it was the last day of grouper season. 3 dives in 80-90' we had our limit of lobster and some decent fish.

My last Grouper of the season.
We had about 20 people join us that night on the island, so we had an all you can eat seafood buffet.


1-8-12 First weekend of the year.

Since I had not been diving since last year I was excited to go. Same boat, same crew. We even went to the same location, we affectionately call MAYHEM. The spot lived up to its name. We had our limit of bugs right away. My next goal was to fill the box with fish. On my second tank I stuck 7 fat flatties without pulling the trigger. Dale and Bobby shot some nice mangos on their last dive. That left Chris and myself with one tank to go. We knew exactly where we wanted to go. when we arrived someone was diving our secret ledge.... we went to a spot that Chris had in his GPS. As soon as we hit the bottom I hear his gun go off. I turn and see a Cobia with a spear through it. As I move in to assist I notice a second cobe within striking distance. Now things get fun. We manage to get both fish under control, and Chris motions me that he is going up with his prize. As I follow him to the surface I remove my spear. It was a mistake. As I hand my fish up to the boat it pulls a ninja move and makes its escape... one cobia on the boat. It was an exciting end to a great day.
       5 person limit. Thank you Poseidon!

        The one that made it on the boat. Great job Chris                                                               
                                     
 Total catch: 30 Bugs, 13 Flounder, 7 Mangos, a Trigger and a nice Cobia

No comments:

Post a Comment